Monday, August 3, 2009

"If Everyone Cared"

Summer courses are “fun” especially in large quantities. I’m taking all three of them which means on a normal week I’m in class for 18 hours. Though for the last two weeks I’ve been in class for 21 hours to make up for a week when the professor will be gone.

Did I mention the homework? The statistics class assigns eight problems each class which added up to fifty-seven problems before the first test. I’m pretty sure that I spend over ten hours working on the homework before taking the exam. The economics class is slightly less demanding by only having three exercises through the semester. The first exercise was relatively easy though it involved more math than economics. The second exercise proved to be more of a challenge in remembering high level math from years ago than an exercise in economics. I’d say that I’ve spent eight hours or so on the exercises.

We had our first test in statistics last week. Brian and I approached the professor afterward on behalf of the class to say that the workload was too much for a class composed of people taking three courses and working a job at the same time. I feel like the conversation could have been better but based on today our points seemed to have hit. Today the professor ended up doing a statistical analysis on the test (go figure). The class average was a sixty-one which really didn’t surprise anyone. He chose to apply a bell curve on the test and informed us that the lowest score on the first two tests would be dropped. He then queried the class and discovered that the majority of us are in three classes and taking jobs. So now we don’t have to do anymore homework in his class, which has suddenly made the light at the end of the tunnel appear much closer.

With one month left we have five tests, an exercise, and a group report to do. Also, I need to find an apartment to move into second week of September. Tonight though I’m going to watch a movie and go to sleep early.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hope all is going much better in your classes...We start up the fall semester in 10 friggin days...