Tuesday, December 8, 2009

"Days of the Week"

My life for the last month or so has followed the same schedule. Every morning (*cough* 12 PM *cough*) I wake up, roll out of the bed, update myself online, go to the gym (on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday), and then meet my girlfriend.

That’s right for those of you that don’t know. I have a girlfriend and I’m rather proud of that feat. Sure she doesn’t cook me breakfast or go out late night with me but that’s just fine. She’s always there when I want her… though her nagging of my spelling gets annoying. We did have a rocky time a week ago though, she left me for a guy with more degrees… imagine that… I do everything for this woman and SHE LEAVES ME. Don’t worry, she’s back in my hands and wants me to prepare a PowerPoint presentation to introduce her to the world.

Enough of the rouse, my girlfriend is actually my thesis. I’ve been writing and rewriting it for a while now and as of today everything but the presentation is ready for my proposal defense. The defense itself is on the 25th which isn’t the greatest day for obvious reasons but I’ll be glad to get this part done. Once that’s over I’ll be moving into data collection and analysis for the next three months. I’m glad that I’m at this milestone. I’ve been operating in what I’ve dubbed as “burn-out” mode for a while now. When I’m in this mode I can’t stop working, I sit down and think about what else I can add to the thesis and instead of relaxing I open up MS Word and start working again. It does have a tendency to stress me out but things get done.

I’ve had a rather constant feeling that I’m running out of money the last few weeks. Rather than splurge and buy everyone ice cream, I’m instead avoiding going to the parlor instead. I’m not at the point where I’m in dire need but not having a job is starting to tax on me a bit. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been looking for a job. The difference is rather than take a “Do-or-Die” approach I’m taking an “If-It-Happens-It-Does” approach which most certainly is not the best way.

Given my feelings on money right now, it’s apparent that I’ll be spending winter break in Taiwan. Not the worst thing though, I’ve gotten adjusted to this place since I last landed on the item in February. Almost ten months, kind of unbelievable but this could just be a prelude to being away from home for long periods.

I’m still not sure what my future holds for me. At the moment I feel like I’ll go back to the states in May at the earliest. I’ve had a friend offer me a job in Colorado which is tempting but NC still might be where I cast the anchor. I can tell you that right at this moment I’m going to go work on my thesis questionnaire that the guy with more degrees sent me while I was writing this.

No comments: